The French alpine village of Châtel is in an enviable position just a short drive from the Swiss border – you can visit two countries in one holiday. There are plenty of activities and things to see and do in the Abondance Valley as well as the option of interesting day trips to explore a little further.
DAYTRIPS FROM CHÂTEL
VALLEY D'AULPS - FRANCE
MORZINE & LES GETS
- The neighbouring villages to Châtel & The Abondance Valley.
- Ski across via Avoriaz in the winter.
- Use your multi pass for the chairlifts & activities in the summer.
- Play a round of golf at 1500m at the 18-hole course in Les Gets.
- Visit the stunning Lac Montriond for a walk and a spot of lunch
VALLEY D'AULPS - FRANCE
- Skiing at the highest point of the Portes du Soleil with a super fast link from Châtel.
- Check out the world famous ‘The Wall’ ski piste.
- Access via chair lift to Switzerland in winter and summer.
- Take a swim in tropical paradise at the Aquariaz.
- The 12km long Col de Joux vert climb for road bike enthusiasts.
FRANCE & SWITZERLAND
LAKE GENEVA – LAC LEMAN
- The largest alpine lake in Europe spans both France & Switzerland.
- Explore the spa town of Evian or the medieval town of Yvoire.
- Swim in the crystal clear waters from one of the lake beaches.
- Get active and take part in one of the many watersports available.
- Take the ferry to Lausanne and experience Switzerland’s second largest city.
- Discover the spectacular Château de Chillon on Lac leman with spectacular mountain backdrop.
- Wander along the promenade of the Montreux Riviera, home of the famous Jazz Festival.
- Visit the Queen experience at the famous Mountain Studios.
- Take the cog train to Rocher de Naye for stunning lake and mountain views.
- Visit in December for the most beautiful Christmas Market.
VEVEY & LAUSANNE
- Perfect day trips for heritage lovers.
- Vevey – where milk chocolate was invented! Explore the boutique stores and market (Saturday) at Vevey
- Visit the Charlie Chaplin exhibition.
- Lausanne – the home of the International Olympic Committe, visit the museum.
- Both cities have many sights listed as Swiss heritage sites of national significance.
- Explore the medieval hilltop village and 13th century castle.
- See the making of the famous Gruyère cheese.
- Visit the Callier chocolate factory…and taste it!
- For sci-fi fans, the HR Giger museum with the largest collection of his works in based in the village…with a very interesting bar!
- Learn how to make the perfect fondue at the Fondue Academy.
FRANCE - SWITZERLAND - ITALY
- The stunning lakeside town of Annecy – 90 minutes
- The lofty heights of Chamonix Mont Blanc – 90 minutes
- Glacier 3000 – 75 minutes
- Lac Neuchatel – 90 minutes
- The Aosta Vallee, Italy – 2 hours
planning your roadtrip
- North: Besançon 2hr 40, Dijon 3hr 20, Strasbourg 3hr 40
- East: Lake Maggiore 4h, Milan 4hr 30
- South: Turin 3h, Avignon 4h 30
- West: Lyon 3h, Bourgogne 3h